1300 Frenchtown Road
East Greenwich, RI 02818 USA
Frederick Jaggi, President
This is the largest engine that the Corliss Steam Engine Company built. It was located in the Machinery Hall of the Centennial Exposition in Phillidelphia in 1876. It was first started by President Ulysses S. Grant and the Emperor Dom Pedro of Brazil. This engine powered 13 acres of equipment in the Machinery Hall through more than a mile of shafting.
The engine had a 44 inch bore, 10 foot stroke, was more than 45 feet tall, had a fifty-six ton, thirty foot diameter, twenty-four inch face flywheel, and produced 1,400 Horse Power at 36 RPM.
After 6 months of service at the Centennial the engine was shipped back to the Corliss Factory in Providence. Seven years later the Corliss Centennial engine was sold to the George Pullman company in Chicago and ran their factory until 1910.
The Corliss Centennial engine at the George Pullman company in Chicago.
Photo courtesy of the Pullman State Historic Site, Collection of Frank H. Beberdick.
For more information about the Museum please e-mail: Frederick Jaggi, President
All pages, HTML, text, images, and movies are ©1997-2013 The New England Wireless and Steam Museum, Inc.
Please send web page comments and suggestions to: Michael Thompson.