1300 Frenchtown Road
East Greenwich, RI 02818 USA
Frederick Jaggi, President
Nichols and Langworthy manufactured engines in Hope Valley, RI and sold them under the New York Safety Steam Power name. They produced engines in many sizes of which we have three. Two of these engines are commonly refered to as "bottle" engines because of their bottle look from the side. They were fitted with reversing gear when used on steam launches as shown in the prints. The small engine was a gift of Louisa Fay in memory of "Grandfather Steam" Dan Fay. The large engine came from a Westerly, RI granite quarry. This engine was a gift of Charles Arthur Moore III.
Large NYSSE Engine
Small NYSSE Engine
This 25 HP horizontal engine was built by Nichols and Langworthy Machine Company in Hope Valley, RI in 1895. It is similar to the design of the Armington & Sims engine. It has a 8" bore and a 9" stroke and produces 25 HP. This engine was a gift of Warren Hagist.
25 HP Horizontal
The engine shown above was originally installed the cellar of Lippitt Hall at the Rhode Island Agricultural School (now the University of Rhode Island) and was purchased when the building was built. It generated all of the electricity for the campus. The engine above is at the left center in the photograph below.
The cellar of Lippitt Hall at the University of Rhode Island. Photo courtesy of URI Archives.
This photo was taken in 1900, just 5 or 6 years after the Lippit Hall was built. The generator in this photograph is nearly identical to the one that it is connected to now. The engine at the right is the same as the museum's Armington & Sims engine.
In 1929 the engine was moved to the cellar of Bliss Hall, the first engineering building on campus. There it was used only for instructional purposes in the Mechanical Engineering Department.
The department and all of its equipment was moved to Wales Hall in 1960. During that move the generator, the control panel, and the resistor banks which were used for a load were, unfortunately, scrapped. A few years later this engine was donated to the NEWSM, and two other steam engines and a small deLaval turbine were scrapped. Two of the other engine's flywheels were used as moorings for an ocean engineering student's thesis project, which are probably still at the bottom of the bay.
Lippitt Hall at the University of Rhode Island, Photo courtesy of URI Archives
For more information about the Museum please e-mail: Frederick Jaggi, President
All pages, HTML, text, images, and movies are ©1997-2013 The New England Wireless and Steam Museum, Inc.
Please send web page comments and suggestions to: Michael Thompson.